01 September, 2008

Recently we have started reading a chapter fromThe Gift of Values by Rosie Boom on Sunday evenings. Last night's chapter was on the value of A Positive Attitude. Rosie had included this poem, which I thought was perfect for this week's Charlotte Mason blog carnival on Habit! I don't know who the author is and Rosie doesn't quote anyone either, so I'm assuming it's in the public domain!


Who Am I?

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden.

I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.

I am completely at your command.

Half the things you do, you might just as well turn over to me,

And I will be able to do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed; you must merely be firm with me.

Show me exactly how you want something done,

And after a few lessons I will do it automatically.

I am the servant of all great men.

And, alas, of all failures as well.

Those who are great, I have made great.

Those who are failures, I have made failures.

I am not a machine, though I work with all the precision of a machine.

You may run me for profit, or run me for ruin;

It makes no difference to me.

Take me, train me, be firm with me

And I will put the world at your feet.

Be easy with me, and I will destroy you.

Who am I?

I am HABIT!

~***~



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...